Luke T. Shumaker » blog » what-im-working-on-fall-2014

What I’m working on (Fall 2014)

I realized today that I haven’t updated my log in a while, and I don’t have any “finished” stuff to show off right now, but I should just talk about all the cool stuff I’m working on right now.

Static parsing of subshells

Last year I wrote a shell (for my Systems Programming class); however, I went above-and-beyond and added some really novel features. In my opinion, the most significant is that it parses arbitrarily deep subshells in one pass, instead of deferring them until execution. No shell that I know of does this.

At first this sounds like a really difficult, but minor feature. Until you think about scripting, and maintenance of those scripts. Being able to do a full syntax check of a script is crucial for long-term maintenance, yet it’s something that is missing from every major shell. I’d love to get this code merged into bash. It would be incredibly useful for some software I maintain.

Anyway, I’m trying to publish this code, but because of a recent kerfuffle with a student publishing all of his projects on the web (and other students trying to pass it off as their own), I’m being cautious with this and making sure Purdue is alright with what I’m putting online.

Stateless user configuration for PAM/NSS

Parabola GNU/Linux-libre users know that over this summer, we had a mess with server outages. One of the servers is still out (due to things out of our control), and we don’t have some of the data on it (because volunteer developers are terrible about back-ups, apparently).

This has caused us to look at how we manage our servers, back-ups, and several other things.

One thing that I’ve taken on as my pet project is making sure that if a server goes down, or we need to migrate (for example, Jon is telling us that he wants us to hurry up and switch to the new 64 bit hardware so he can turn off the 32 bit box), we can spin up a new server from scratch pretty easily. Part of that is making configurations stateless, and dynamic based on external data; having data be located in one place instead of duplicated across 12 config files and 3 databases… on the same box.

Right now, that’s looking like some custom software interfacing with OpenLDAP and OpenSSH via sockets (OpenLDAP being a middle-man between us and PAM (Linux) and NSS (libc)). However, the OpenLDAP documentation is… inconsistent and frustrating. I might end up hacking up the LDAP modules for NSS and PAM to talk to our system directly, and cut OpenLDAP out of the picture. We’ll see!

PS: Pablo says that tomorrow we should be getting out-of-band access to the drive of the server that is down, so that we can finally restore those services on a different server.

Project Leaguer

Last year, some friends and I began writing some “eSports tournament management software”, primarily targeting League of Legends (though it has a module system that will allow it to support tons of different data sources). We mostly got it done last semester, but it had some rough spots and sharp edges we need to work out. Because we were all out of communication for the summer, we didn’t work on it very much (but we did a little!). It’s weird that I care about this, because I’m not a gamer. Huh, I guess coding with friends is just fun.

Anyway, this year, Andrew, Davis, and I are planning to get it to a polished state by the end of the semester. We could probably do it faster, but we’d all also like to focus on classes and other projects a little more.


People tend to lump C and C++ together, which upsets me, because I love C, but have a dislike for C++. That’s not to say that C++ is entirely bad; it has some good features. My “favorite” code is actually code that is basically C, but takes advantage of a couple C++ features, while still being idiomatic C, not C++.

Anyway, with the perspective of history (what worked and what didn’t), and a slightly opinionated view on language design (I’m pretty much a Rob Pike fan-boy), I thought I’d try to tackle “object-oriented C” with roughly the same design criteria as Stroustrup had when designing C++. I’m calling mine C+=1, for obvious reasons.

I haven’t published anything yet, because calling it “working” would be stretching the truth. But I am using it for my assignments in CS 334 (Intro to Graphics), so it should move along fairly quickly, as my grade depends on it.

I’m not taking it too seriously; I don’t expect it to be much more than a toy language, but it is an excuse to dive into the GCC internals.

Projects that I’ve put on the back-burner

I’ve got several other projects that I’m putting on hold for a while.


I should consider doing a write-up of deterministic-tar behavior (something that I’ve been implementing in Parabola for a while, meanwhile the Debian people have also been working on it).

I should also consider doing a “post-mortem” of PBS, which never actually got used, but launched XBS (part of the dbscripts/abslibre integration mentioned above), as well as serving as a good test-bed for features that did get implemented.

I over-use the word “anyway.”